Devuan Beowulf 3.1.0 point release
Dear Init Freedom Lovers
Once again the Veteran Unix Admins salute you on this day commemorating six years since the first Devuan pre-alpha Valentine's Day release in 2015!
Devuan Beowulf 3.1.0 point release installer ISOs, desktop-live, and minimal-live isos are now available. Note that ARM and virtual images are not updated in this release.
What’s new in this point release:
The installer now offers a choice of three init systems.
runit has been added, along with
If you would like to select an alternate bootloader (
lilo) or exclude non-free firmware, you must select one of the Expert install options.
The recommended default mirror is now deb.devuan.org. If you would like to use a country code mirror, please check https://pkgmaster.devuan.org/mirror_list.txt to see if there is one suitable for your needs.
Security updates and bug fixes:
- linux-image-4.19.0-14 Debian 4.19.171-2 (2021-01-30)
- firefox-esr 78.7.0esr-1~deb10u1
- lightdm 1.26.0-4+devuan1 (fixes bugs related to power buttons and accessibility features)
- New package, debian-pulseaudio-config-override corrects problem of pulseaudio being off by default
- And many more. (See https://www.debian.org/security/2020/ and https://www.debian.org/security/2021/)
Please read the Release Notes carefully: https://files.devuan.org/devuan_beowulf/Release_notes.txt
Beowulf 3.0.0 announcement: https://www.devuan.org/os/announce/beowulf-stable-announce-060120.html
The latter URL also includes information about the official Devuan package repositories, an ISO selection guide, and links to installation guides.
What about ARM and virtual images?
ARM and Virtual Machine images are provided by the greater Devuan community rather than as part of official releases. Users are being encouraged to build and contribute ARM images for their particular hardware. This will increase the variety of images available and allow the release schedule of the installer ISOs to move forward more quickly.
Images can be built using using arm-sdk and vm-sdk: https://www.devuan.org/os/distro-kit
Arm-related discussion happens at #devuan-arm (Freenode) and https://dev1galaxy.org/viewforum.php?id=24
- Mailing list: https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dng
- IRC: #devuan #devuan-dev (Freenode)
- Forum: https://dev1galaxy.org
- Source code: https://git.devuan.org
- Bug tracker: https://bugs.devuan.org
- Popularity contest: https://popcon.devuan.org
- Package information: https://pkginfo.devuan.org
- Press contact: email@example.com
Chimaera coming soon
The Devuan development team will now focus on polishing our fourth release, codename “Chimaera”, minor planet no. 623.
We wish to thank all of you for the incredible support given to this development effort, which continues to make Devuan a useful and reliable base distribution.
To support the Devuan project you can donate at:
https://www.devuan.org/donate (includes financial reports)
or take up one of the tasks listed at:
Happy hacking ;^)