Devuan Chimaera 4.0 stable release
Dear Friends and Software Freedom Lovers,
Devuan Developers are delighted to announce the release of Devuan Chimaera 4.0 as the project's new stable release. This is the result of many months of painstaking work by the Team and detailed testing by the wider Devuan community.
What's new in Chimaera 4.0?
- Based on Debian Bullseye (11.1) with Linux kernel 5.10
- Your choice of init: sysvinit, runit, and OpenRC
- Improved desktop support - virtually all desktop environments available in Debian are now part of Devuan, systemd-free
- New boot, display manager and desktop theming
- Enhanced accessibility: installation via GUI or console can now be accomplished via software or hardware speech synthesis, or using a refreshable braille display, and Devuan Chimaera has the ability to install desktop environments without PulseAudio, allowing speech synthesis in both console and GUI sessions at the same time
Installation and Documentation
Whether you are upgrading an existing Devuan install, migrating from Debian or installing from scratch, instructions and guidance can be found at:
Packages, netboot images and installation media are available through a resilient network of:
http package mirrors (
http://deb.devuan.orgor choose manually from this list)
- http, https, ftp and rsync iso mirrors
- torrent and magnet
Please take time to read the Release Notes which include important configuration information and tips to help your install or upgrade go as smoothly as possible:
Or, for the impatient, you can go straight to the package and sources.list information or the installation media downloads.
Resources and Support
- Mailing list: https://mailinglists.dyne.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dng
- IRC: #devuan #devuan-dev #devuan-arm (Libera)
- Forum: https://dev1galaxy.org
- Press contact: freedom at devuan dot org
- Source code: https://git.devuan.org
- Bug tracker: https://bugs.devuan.org
- Package information: https://pkginfo.devuan.org
- Popularity contest: https://popcon.devuan.org
The next Devuan release, 5.0.0, is codenamed Daedalus. Repositories are already available for the adventurous to test.
We wish to thank all of you for the incredible support given to Devuan. Without your help and feedback, Devuan could not be the reliable and versatile distribution that it is.
To support the Devuan project you can donate at:
https://devuan.org/os/donate (includes financial reports)
or take up one of the tasks listed at:
How you can help Devuan
Live long and prosper!
The Devuan Development Team